Bless the Lord, O my soul: and all that is within me, bless HIS HOLY NAME.

Monday, March 23, 2020

This Is What Love Looks Like (18 Years Later)


He drove me to the market yesterday. Just him and me. It was special getting out of the house, even if just to go purchase enough fruits, vegetables, and meat to get us through the next couple of weeks. I paid the lady at the fruit stand, and, while waiting for my change, I looked over at him. So handsome in his blue shirt. I see salt 'n' pepper in his hair already. So incredibly attractive.

I didn't say anything. Just lost in my own thoughts. He was oblivious to what I was thinking.
Just then, the lady handed me my change.




He helped carry my big crate holding potatoes, tomatoes, onions, carrots, chayote, mangos,  papaya, ginger, cilantro, oranges, and meat.

He had to drive around the block while I ran into the fabric store since there was no place to park. I was so thankful he had offered to drive me down to the market. I really don't enjoy driving through the market streets. There are always so many people, and yesterday was no exception.

On the way home, I was chattering, as always. I glanced over at him, and he was just staring at me. He got a sweet grin on his face. "You're so pretty, 'Mamita,'" he said, using his term of endearment. Made my heart go pitter-patter.




Back at the house, while I washed and soaked the fruits and veggies, divided the meat into baggies and placed them into the freezer, then started dinner, I remembered the look on his face as he looked at me in the car.

"Wow," I thought. "We're at the 18-year mark, and still madly in love."

I'm so very honored to belong to him. My Mr. Steady. The king in our home. Under God, he's the head of our family. Ever so patiently and steadily he leads us.

Only by God's sweet, amazing, sustaining grace. I've seen him bow under pressure, but never break. I've seen him weep over disappointments, but he never stays down. 


The perfect balance between stern and gentle. I have watched as he sits across the table from our teenagers, reprimanding them, their faces so serious; but before the "session" is over, they're laughing together and the air is cleared. He stays with them until he is sure the air is clear. No lingering fog or cloudiness between them.

God is his refuge, his shelter, his guide. In calm or in storm, in Him he abides. When the enemy strikes, 'neath the Rock he does hide. And let me tell you, this year has been one of clinging to His unseen hand. How grateful I am for God in our marriage, in our lives!




How do I end this little homage to the celebration of sweet love between this man and woman? Only to say that we continue to trust in God's protection, His faithfulness, His provision for our marriage, our home, one another. May He give us another 18, 36, 52 + more years together.

Now and forever. Andy 'n' Anna.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Happy Anniversary!

Unknown said...

Happy anniversary! Dear brother, is it possible to contact you directly? My email is normanavila1980@gmail.com. I have some students reading the book Peril by Choice and I will to contact you and see if it is possible to have a meeting with you.